Friday, October 17, 2008

Obama on the Free Trade Agreement with Peru

I just watched the third U.S. presidential debate on youtube last night and two things stood out to me. First; both Barack Obama and John McCain are left handed. Other people probably didn't notice because they were watching the debate from their right handed seats of power. This is good news for southpaws everywhere.
Second, Barack Obama brought up his support for the current U.S.-Peru Free Trade Agreement. Now, I bet that when everyone heard that they all got pretty excited at any mention of a great country like Peru and probably thought "Hmm, I don't know much about that trade agreement. I wonder what Peruvians think of it." I'm so glad you asked! I'm certainly no expert on international trade, but have read a little bit about this trade agreement. I also regularly read a blog by a Peruvian living in Washington D.C. He has a good post providing a Peruvian perspective on what Obama said Wednesday night here. It's not too long and worth the read. His perspective is very much like that of Peruvians I meet here on our election and politics. They overwhelmingly support Obama over McCain (I haven't and won't meet any McCain supporters here), but well informed Peruvians recognize that Obama still stands for much of the status quo. However, as portrayed clearly in the debate Wednesday night, Obama is at least concerned about things like the environment and human rights when it comes to trade agreements; not just how much more money we can make than the other country.
Also, I do agree with McCain that Obama should definitely visit countries in Latin America. It will be funny when he does though. They'll gush over him more than J Lo and Mana (Latin Coldplay) combined.
-Michael

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a good post. I'm officially a registered voter if you haven't heard! And all Oregon voting is done through the mail, so I oughtn't have any trouble this time.

Dude, I can't wait until you get back. I saw Damien Jurado by myself and I was like, "Dude, Kolbas should be here," and Damien was like, I know right? Then he played Ohio while I played harmonica and I got like a million girlfriends. Not really, but I can't wait until you get back all the same. What's the date you get back so's I can get an extra day off or two while we hit the town?

Anyways, I'm gonna go hang out with Nolan Foster and his wife Amy who live in Portland as well. Small world eh?

Eh.

From,
Lucas

Pamela Joy said...

Apparently me being out of town = you blogging your heart out. I like it. You're so wonderful.