Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Internship

The organization I work for here is called Paz y Esperanza (Peace and Hope). They do great work but there aren't too many people working in the office right now because they couldn't get funding for more projects. I am working with 2 projects right now.
One involves helping to make churches more capable to take on some of the social and environmental issues here in Moyobamba and the Alto Mayo region. People here at Paz lead workshops for church youth (ages 18-25, so mostly older than me) who are future church leaders. The workshops regard servant leadership and calling, domestic violence (Biblical understanding of roles and equality; cycles of violence, legislation and rights; psychology and self esteem; and conflict resolution), and environmental impact (Biblical framework and local challenges). They also lead these workshops for pastors and adults. I'm very excited to see churches coming together to try to solve the problems here together.
The second involves just focused on the environment. A nearby smaller town is trying to improve problems there such as deforestation, lack of clean water, poor handling of trash and sewage. I've been reading long summaries of problems and proposals and things. I also went to visit the town today and have seen these problems here in Moyobamba as well. There are 2 beautiful look out points from the city to the river, jungle and mountains. On Thursday (Earth Day) I went to one of them to do this nature hike thing with the junior high kids (who all laughed at me for being white). When I looked out I saw at least 6 clouds of smoke rising from the jungle where farmers are burning trees to farm more. They are destroying the Amazon and they know it, but they are poor and there is a market for coffee. They have to eat. I don't know what the answers are. It's even a more complicated problem than I know yet, but hopefully I can learn more.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're getting very involved already. unlike Pamela who will spend her second night in the hospital for rehydration and observation. I sent you an email about that. So sad that she's so sad!

Maw in Law