Friday, June 6, 2008

Honeymoon Stage


Finally I was able to upload some pictures. So, this is my house. It has an open courtyard in the middle and some of the rooms are open on that side. I sort of live outside. I love it. They can do that here because the weather is perfect and really really consistent. It will rain, but the temperature each day is always about the same; kind of hot during the day, and just cool enough for a sweater at night.

I have a host mom, 2 brothers (24 and 27), a friend of theirs and a 15 year old sister who live here. There's a few more who don't live here too.
I have gotten along really well with my family. People only have motorcycles here. There are hardly any cars. Alejandro, the 24 year old and I go out on his motorcycle and I teach him English and he teaches me Spanish.

My host mom is the sweetest and always sings when she cooks and cleans. She makes really good food too. Fresh fruit juice every day is nice.
It's really nice to feel so welcome here. I have felt insecure at times when out around the city. Yesterday some high school kids laughed at me and I get starred at a lot, but when I come home I'm so welcome.
Last night my host mom asked me about politics and Barack Obama. I think people here are pretty excited and surprised that an African American is the candidate in one of the major parties for president in the U.S.
My Spanish is coming along better than I'd expected. Understanding isn't so bad but speaking is rough.
Well, I have much more I could say. I haven't even mentioned work yet. But I don't want these posts to be too long and I have things I need to do. In summary, I'm doing really well here and enjoying myself. I'll try to post about work and some other things soon.
-Michael

7 comments:

MClauson said...

That is a beautiful house you are staying in really awesome Michael. I also thunk that is cool that you are teaching Alejandro English and he is helping with your Spanish. Love you so much and I appreciate your blog.

Katelynn said...

michael, I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself! I'm excited to get to read about your experiences. I know God is going to do amazing things in you and through you. You're in my prayers!
-katelynn m. stein

Nelson said...

I'm glad to hear that no only have you arrived without dying, but you've almost made it a whole week without croaking. Well done, sir.

I look very much forward to hearing about life down in the deep south, both the mundane and the less so.

Anonymous said...

fresh fruit juice is a plus.

take care of yourself.

miss ya.

paul said...

the house looks great and i'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it! buena suerte con las palabras espanolas.

carissa73 said...

so glad you set this blog up michael. Is your brother also going to teach you how to ride a motobicicleta? Es possible que practicamos espanol ahora. No tengo nadie to talk with. And my spanish needs help! It looks like you are in a very beautiful place...congratulations on getting yourself here!
Love ya,
Carissa

Anonymous said...

Hey, those pictures just made me really homesick. There were a lot more people in the house whn I was there, but I totally know what you are talking about: that house is like an oasis sometimes from the outside. I feel so accepted and loved there. Waking up every morning before everyone else and listening to our Mom sing while I read some was probably one of my favorite parts of my whole experience.